Wednesday, November 05, 2014

More Independence

Parker is now seeking more independence and wanting to do things alone.  One example was halloween when he said, "I don't have to trick or treat with you, do I?"

Another was yesterday morning. Michael dropped him at the pool for a 6:15am swim practice.  It went until 7:30. Normally I would pick him up at 7:45 but this day he asked if he could just walk to school. School is a short walk through the high school in a very safe area with lots of people around. He's done the reverse walk lots of times so I said ok. I told him to take his time in the shower, really dry his air and then bring a book in case he got there too early.  I also gave him Elizabeth's cell phone (which she has never used but loves the fact that she gets one for long gym workouts).

The girls and I went to school early so we could check on him but he wasn't there at 8:15. I got worried, asked a few friends, texted Michael and then walked to the other side of school where he never goes. And there he was, sitting alone reading his book. He looked tired.  I sat with him for a bit and reminded him of his warm, buttery bagel Michael had made and wrapped up for him. He was relieved to eat it. He said he was worried about PE because he was a little tired. I told him to just tell his PE teacher about swimming. He seemed anxious about that so I asked if he wanted me to tell her. He did. I went down to the playground, spoke with her briefly about it and left.  When I picked him up after afternoon swim practice (yes, two on one day), he said the PE teacher told everyone about his swimming in the morning and said something like, "Even if you are talented at something like Parker is at swimming, you still have to work hard and practice." He seemed to like the compliment.

No comments: