Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Parker's Swim Meet in San Ramon

Last fall as Elizabeth's and Parker's sports were heating up, Rachel and I agreed to divide ourselves between them, and Rachel would do swimming and I would do gymnastics. Both kinds of meets are tedious affairs marked by short periods of interest, so it's pretty even there, although swim meets are much longer. In any case, I have not been able to go to many meets, so I was glad this weekend that I got the chance to take Parker and spend the day with him in San Ramon.

Swim meets are chaotic affairs, but he knows the drill, and didn't need my help to get where he needed to be. Most of the meets the whole team goes to, but just two of the team were here, and no coaches, so it was a slightly different scene.

Parker is working hard on his swimming, and this meet was an opportunity for him to show some progress. He has already qualified for six events at the Zone Two Championships, and was trying for a 7th, which he didn't quite make. But he's also trying to get a Junior Olympics score on one of his events, and he shaved over a second off his personal best at this meet, so he is on his way to achieving it over the next few meets if he keeps on pace.

I also brought my fancy new camera with the telephoto lens, and it was nice to be able to get some great pictures of the man in action.

Here's a backstroke start:

And here's a start from the blocks:


Here are some butterfly strokes, which continue to amaze me.




Overall it was a really fun day.


No comments: