Thursday, January 15, 2015

The new scene

So starting this week, Rachel is working full time at Guide Dogs for the Blind, and I am working east coast hours so that I can take care of the kids after school. This is something I've been thinking about for a while now, and when Rachel decided to go back to work, it was the perfect opportunity.

It's been fun so far this week, although disorienting, and I missed one of Parker's practices because I was confused. It's nice to get to the office to several hours of quiet work, and it's nice to leave in the middle of the afternoon. And then so far it's been fun to be the dad at school, and say hi to all the moms, and greet the kids on their stomping ground. They've got a complex after school schedule, and I had to develop a new format of visual display to keep ahead of the details. Today as an example, Parker and Miranda have Groove Lab from 3-4:10 at the school, Elizabeth has Gymnastics from 4:30-7:30 on the other end of Oakland, and Parker has swimming from 4:30-6:00 at the pool. And just as important as all of that: I've got to make meatballs for dinner!

I am looking forward to being more involved in the kids lives, and helping them with their homework, and all of that. I created a new rule yesterday that if you didn't finish your lunch and your snack at school, you don't get any food before dinnertime, other than finishing your lunch and snack. Miranda wasn't wild about that rule yesterday, but she ate her apple.

I hope that the early starts won't take too big a toll on my, but I think as long as I get to bed early enough I'll be fine. I learned this lesson my senior year in college, when I ran the early morning support lines for the Oakland Tribune, and was getting up at 4:14 to catch my 4:45 bus. I haven't been thankful for having a car for a long time, but suddenly I am thankful.

Anyway, so far so good.

No comments: