Friday, April 27, 2007

Sidewalk Violation

Whenever I walk Parker to day care, I usually have at least one other baby with me. And usually I go with all three. One on my back or front, one in the stroller and Parker switches off between walking, running, standing and staring at nothing, and sitting in the sit n stand part of the stroller.

It's a short walk and mostly downhill on the way there, so it is fairly pleasant. Except for a few driveways about a block from the day care. The residents park there cars in the driveways, completely blocking the sidewalk. I have to take my whole swarm of kids and go into the street and then back up onto the sidewalk. Some days I have to do this more than once.

Every time, I curse the cars and tell myself I am going to print up nasty postcards about how lame this is and place them on the cars. But I always forget until I find myself in front of the car.

But two days ago, I came home and called the City of Oakland. Someone answered on the first ring, which is amazing unto itself. I asked if this parking situation was legal and was informed, No, It was not. It is called a Sidewalk Violation. I gave the city block and she informed me that they would patrol it more often now that there was a complaint. I knew nothing would happen, but I still felt good to have done something.

Then yesterday, as I was walking to pick Parker up, I saw one of the cars. I cursed it as I approached it, and then saw the bright green City of Oakland parking ticket on the front dash. Sidewalk Violation! Yay!

The City of Oakland can't seem to stop homocides or homelessness or dead animals on the street, but they sure can jump right on top of the illegal parking situations.

No comments: