Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Random Thoughts

My after school enrichment programs that I set up are all filling up fast. Several filled up in two days and all have met their minimums. This gives me great pleasure as I was told by the nasty woman who did it last year that I couldn't get it done this fast, no one would sign up for Fridays, parents wouldn't pay that much, etc, etc.  Everything she said has been wrong.

We are walking to school these days with our neighbors and a couple other kids.  The kids seem to like it.  There is less time on the playground but since it's really the kindergarten playground, that's ok.

The girls are in separate classes this year for the first time and it seems to be going well.  The kids from the afternoon kindergarten who don't know them are just meeting them as people and not "the twins" which I really like.

I'm gonna take a ballet class next week.  It's an adult class at the kids studio.  I told the teacher I might start crying in the middle of it and walk out but she seemed to think it would all come right back like riding a bike.  But I'm thinking I've written a bike more recently than 30 years.

And speaking of "dancing", I'm going to teach a step class tomorrow for Bootcamp.  That actually does come right back. I teach it every 6 months to a year and it's like I never stopped when I do it.

Parker is doing well in piano lessons these days. In the past he has goofed off during the lesson, playing when she is talking or generally being dis respectful. I tried to talk with him about it many times, but he didn't change his behavior.  So I decided to try something else. I told him I would take away 20 of his chip (his poker chips he earns for doing stuff and then spends on other nonsense).  A 20 chip fine is a huge fine, but it worked and he's been great, focused, and interested during lessons since.

Parker has started soccer. The last time he did it he was 5 and he was terrible and cried during the class.  I vowed never to let him do it again.  So when he asked to sign up, I was really hesitant and reminded him of that, but let him do it.  He got on a team with all his friends and I told him he would probably be one of the worst because they had all been doing it for a while.  I also told the coach.  Turns out, he was great.  And he seemed to enjoy it more than any other kid.

Of the perks of being in charge of the enrichment classes is that I get my kids in any class I want.  So I'm having Miranda take an art class that is so popular it requires a lottery to get in.  Elizabeth is going to take Cheerleading so she can do her cartwheels and flips somewhere.  And Parker is going to take Chess. His pal Jack who beat him in the tournament by one game last year isn't going to take the class because the "competition isn't strong enough." I thought Parker would be bummed, but when he heard the news, he pumped his fist and said, "Yeah! I'm gonna win the tournament."  Cocky little shit.

The other day Miranda was standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom and she said, "I'm so happy these days I'm smiling all the time. I just love to smile."

Today, after school, I've got to take the kids to their reading assessments, then take the girls to ballet, then help run the swim team try outs, then go to the swim team meet and greet with the new coach and then take Parker to soccer.  So now, I'm just trying to relax...

No comments: