Thursday, August 23, 2012

Volunteering

This morning I dropped the kids at school, walked up, hopped in the car and drove to the Fix Our Ferals spay neuter clinic in Richmond.  I stayed there, helping the RVT, knock out about 20 cats, and then went back to school to get the kids.

Fix our Ferals is a group that was started about 15-20 years ago. They used to have big spay neuter days fixing tons of cats and then releasing them.  Then I got involved and invited them to use our facility at the East Bay SPCA. I ran two Spay Neuter clinics so it just made sense that they use them when we weren't.  It was a good relationship and I was proud I made it happen.

It was fun to be back in the animal world again. I think 3 hours a week will be just enough. Michael thinks I won't last being just a lackey and I'll be re-organizing their process in a short time.  It did seem a bit unproductive, but I'm going to try to keep my mouth shut.    The woman I worked with knew everyone I had worked with too. Animal welfare is a very small world.

In addition to this volunteer gig, I'm also on three boards....Twins by the Bay (our twins club), Wildwood Parents Board (where I am in charge of the after school enrichment program and the room parents), and the Swim Team board (where I am in charge of volunteer tracking.)  I'm also a room parent, lunch duty lady, computer lab helper and a few other things.  I think I'll keep plenty busy, but we'll see.

No comments: