Thursday, September 13, 2012

Lanyard

When I taught aerobics in 1999 and 2000 I taught at about six gyms including the berkeley YMCA. They gave me a lanyard to wear to show I was employed there. After I was no longer teaching I started wearing the lanyard as a key chain. Except for people thinking I am a teacher or employee at target it worked extremely well. I never lost my keys with it and could lock the car while still holding groceries. Which was huge considering I lost them on a regular basis. So I stuck with it and have used them ever since.

Until the other day when I was holding my keys and the lanyard fell off. I had no idea where but it was gone. I went through a period of grief over the lanyard that I had for over 12 years. I wondered if I would actually buy another one even taking a second look at an angry bird one the other day when I passed that section in the toy store, but immediately realized how incredibly lame that would be.

So I just resigned myself to not having one anymore, to losing it being a sign that perhaps I was ready to have keys that I didn't lose.  And then, today, when I was crossing the street to go to Parent Teacher conferences, there it was, on the street, run over multiple times, but there nonetheless.   Since I had picked a random place to cross the street, I figured this was more of a sign than losing it and decided that after a nice wash, it would be good to wear for another 12 years.

No comments: