Sunday, March 16, 2014

Skiing!

After considering it many times, we finally took the kids up to the snow.  Everyone in Piedmont has ski homes, and ski shares and many of our friends have their kids on "ski teams".   The kids had asked many times why they hadn't been to Tahoe, but it just seemed like such a giant hassle in the past, we just couldn't deal.  But with parent teacher conferences this past Thursday we took advantage of them being off for two days and went for it.  We drove up Thursday stopping at Soda Springs to do some tubing.  They each did about 5 runs and were done. Then we went to the hotel where we enjoyed the hot tub and then the free breakfast in the morning. The kids were a little confused as to where all the snow was. (There was none in Truckee at all.)  Then Friday morning we were the first ones at Donner Ski Ranch, a ski place many friends suggested for a first time trip. It was perfect. There was no on there. We never waited for a lift, the kids had only 5 in there ski lesson (including them). And it wasn't crazy expensive. Sure, half the mountain was closed due to the lack of snow, but it was perfect for us. The kids did their lesson while Michael and I skied and then we all skied together for the rest of the day.  Miranda was the most fearless, but all the kids did fantastic.  Miranda didn't want to leave at all, but Parker and Elizabeth were done by about 3pm. Which was just as well as the snow was quite slushy and dirty by then. I remembered how to do it even though I haven't done it for over 20 years. Michael had a tough time at first, but then got the hang of it and did much better. He couldn't keep up with the kids, but that would have been tough.   There was one intermediate hill I went down and then the next thing I know, I see Elizabeth stuck on it. I took the lift up to meet her and it was rough going down the hill. I asked her what she was thinking and she said, "It didn't look too steep."  I took both Parker and Miranda on it later and both ended up wiping out, with skis off and in tears. I remember being in that position so I tried to be patient with them, but I think there was some, "STAND UP NOW, MIRANDA!" in there.  We drove home on Friday, stopping in Davis for a sushi lunch with every college student on the planet but still got home by 8pm. The kids collapsed.  But...they all want to go again. I told them, next year.  Good thing the snow will be gone soon.

Hot tubbing!


Miranda was so happy!

See all the snow?


 Snow bunny Elizabeth. 



No comments: