Friday, May 25, 2007

Red Blue Yellow Shoe

We've been enjoying some Tana Hoban books of late. Today before nap we read Red, Blue, Yellow Show. It is basically a picture book about colors. A red clock. A blue glove. A yellow shoe. Etc. The print is big and in all capitals so Parker reads all the letters of the colors printed at the bottom of rach page each time. He says, "One red clock. R - E -D " Recently I started to sound out the words after he spells them. Rhhh eeeeedddddddd. Red. Sort of like the old electric company thing (sh ip, ship. fo rk, fork...which we always did using swear words of course, but I digress.) So today, he says, One Red Clock. R, E, D. CLLLLLLOOOOOOCCCCCCCKKKKKKK with his finger carefully tracing the word RED.

These are the moments when I chuckle, amused at myself for thinking he is so advanced.

During the same reading session, I was singing him Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom. (Sometimes we read it, sometimes we sing it.). I got to Wheeee, said D to E, F, G and I got corrected. Parker said, NO! Wheeee said D to E, F, G, perfectly in pitch. You see, he wasn't correcting the words, just the tone and pitch of my song.

Man, that hurt.

No comments: