Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Twin Racism?

We ran out of milk and cat food today. No biggie right? Well...it can be a big deal to go shopping with twins when your doctor has told you not to carry them on your person (which is what I usually do when I shop...one in the bjorn, one in the cart). But then I remember, Costco, god bless them, has shopping carts with TWO seats for kids. I head down there, load them up and stroll on in. I didn't even get out of parking lot before I was accosted by people wanting to ooogle and ogle at the babies. This went on for the entire shopping trip. "Yes, they are twins." "Yes, they are girls." "Eight months" "Miranda and Elizabeth" "Thanks" "Yes, an toddler son." Blah, blah, blah.

When I got my giant boxes of milk, cat food, and the unplanned diapers, wipes and formula (yes, Elizabeth is almost all the way weaned), I headed to the line, where more ooohing and ahhhing took place. Then I noticed there was a Latina mom in front of me with two kids in her basket too. They look very similar, about the same age, etc, but no one was ooohing and aahhing at her babies. So I asked, "Twins?" realizing that I had just become what I hate. "Yes, she said." "How old?" I asked disgusted by the sound of my own voice. 12 months. It was obvious they were a boy and a girl so I didn't ask. More people had started smiling and pointing at my girls, but no one was looking at hers. Sure they were a bit older, but not much and still very, very cute. Was it because mine were both in (different) light pink sleepers? Or was it because they had no hair? Or because they had blue eyes? Or maybe they were just light years cuter than any other babies ever were?

Whatever it was, it was odd and made me feel weird.

No comments: