Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Eli Climbs

Everyone who knows me or Elizabeth knows she is a climber. Always has been and always (probably) will be. This is not news or blog worthy. But I felt the following situations were.

Today when picking up Parker from school, she shimmies to the top of the kindergarten play structure where it simply isn't possible to go. There was no way to get up there except straight up. I didn't see her do it but I did sort of wonder. Parker didn't see it either, but wanted to get up there too. He tried several ways and then broke down in tears throwing blame on everyone else rather than himself for not being able to do something that looked impossible. I had to tell him that "some bodies just can't do that yet" rather than the standard, "you aren't big enough to do that yet." It was tough for him to accept.

Then later, we visited Dimond park after hitting the library for the moose book (see previous post). There is a play structure there for 5-8 year olds. Everything is high, with big drops and hard monkey bars. This did not deter her. Right in front of me, she grabs onto the pole (that kids use to slide down) and climbs up it. No place for her feet. Nothing to grab onto but the pole. Up she goes. Hand over hand using sheer strength. Even I, who is not impressed with her abilities anymore, couldn't take my eyes off of her.

When she got to the top, I said, "Wow. That was some serious climbing."

She said, "Goo, goo, gaa, gaa," and slid down the slide.

No comments: