Friday, December 03, 2010

Spider

A spider has decided that his (her?) home is in the corner of our kitchen window. So when I'm standing there doing dishes or loading the dishwasher or cleaning out lunch boxes, I see him. He's pretty big (bigger than a nickel) and brave (he comes out when I'm just inches away from him.) He had built quite a web over time as well and it covered much of one panel of the window. Sometimes I would see him in action, trapping small fruit flies that were buzzing around our compost (yes, god help me, I'm trying to make Susan proud and compost). He would come out and wrap them up and take them away. I kinda felt bad for the flies, but not as bad as I did for the spider when they would get away. I had my own private nature show right in front of me. Michael made fun of me a lot. Saying that I was as crazy as my mother (who recently had her own spider take home in the backyard much to her amusement).

Then we had a new cleaning lady come (it's official, I suck as a house cleaner even when I have all the time in the world to do it) and she cleaned it all up. The web (which was, to her credit, disgusting) was gone and there was no spider. I looked all around, but he was gone.

Then yesterday, I saw him peek out of his little nook he was in in the windowsill and start building his web again. It's not where it was before yet, but he's got a nice start and I wish him well.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I love watching spiders live in their webs!