Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Delightful

After school and enrichment classes and swim team practice, we all came home and I had the kids sit down to do their homework. We do homework on Wednesdays which is the day they get it so we don't have to think about it again.  Parker's is spread out over the week, but usually he can do it all in about an hour.  Even his extra math stuff. He's currently working on Area and Perimeter.

I heated up some mini bagel pizza things as a snack and when they came out of the oven there was a big discussion about how many each kid got. Parker quickly established that there were 9 and so each kid got 3 (I don't like mini bagel pizza things.)

So they started snacking and kept doing their homework.  Elizabeth was struggling with adding by 10's when starting at 88 and started to melt down a bit.  I kept her on track but Parker would get distracted and stare at what we were doing rather then doing his own stuff.  I kept telling him "Worry about your own math..."

So then at one point, Miranda says, "Hey. Where is my third bagel bite?" noticing there were none left on the plate.  I look at Parker who looks immediately guilty.  I ask him how many he had and he starts a big long song and dance about how he started to ask Elizabeth if she was on two or three bagel bites, but that I interupted him and so it was all my fault that he ate the "extra" bagel bite. I totally dismissed his argument saying that it was Miranda's bagel bite and not Elizabeth's so if he had asked Elizabeth I would buy it, but since he didn't and Elizabeth quantity of bagel bites eaten had nothing to do with him eating four, he was just trying to make excuse and it was totally lame that he ate Miranda's bite. He wouldn't give up and was yelling at me through tears about how horrible I was for causing all this and how it wasn't fair and blah, blah, blah.  Miranda is meanwhile crying about not having a third bagel bite.  Then out of nowhere, Elizabeth burst into tears and says, "MOM! I ATE THE 4th BAGEL BITE! I DID! I DID! I'M SO SORRY!"  So I have three kids crying at the table.

I apologize to Parker for yelling at him and blaming him for eating the bagel bite (even though he still didn't know if he had or not), I tell Elizabeth that was cruel to let Parker take the fall for so long, and I tell Miranda to shut the hell up and go get something else to eat.

After five more minutes it was all over and they were busy on their homework again.

No comments: