Thursday, July 10, 2014

Going early

As a kid, I remember always wanting to go early to ballet class or rehearsal or performances. If the call was 2pm, I wanted to be there at noon. If it was at 6, 4pm was good. As I recall, my mother didn't understand this. I wasn't ever a very popular kid, but there was a big social aspect to the ballet world that I enjoyed and I didn't want to miss any part of it. (except the part where all the girls ate laxatives to get rid of the food they ate...I missed that part happily.)

Elizabeth, being a gymnastics Team member, is allowed to go early. She has her own cubby inside the gym, away from where the regular class kids put their stuff. She puts her stuff with the team and can go on the gym floor early to warm up, goof off or practice.  The first day, I brought her 10 minutes early and she and waited for another Team kid to show up before going in.  Then this week, when I had to drop off Elizabeth at the exact time I had to pick up Parker, I had to bring her early. The first day, she again waited for someone else to show up (I found out later) before going in.  Yesterday when I brought her early, she ran in, didn't look back and was jumping on the trampoline before I could say goodbye.  When I told her I didn't need to take her early today because Parker was going on a playdate, she said, "but CAN I still go early?"  So I took her in and she was gone in a flash.

She has learned all of her routines now and like her aunt Amy is terrible at the dancing parts. Everything else, she is getting, but she can't do a jete  to save her life. And don't get me started on fifth position arms or her turn out. Just plain scary.  But her coach says she is doing well on everything else.  Today she had another 7 1/2 hour day at the gym (not counting her wanting to go early) so it's a good thing she is really loving it.

No comments: