Monday, July 21, 2014

Math Club

I got an email from Parker's math teacher saying a mom of another kid like Parker (at the other elementary school) was putting together a math club of sorts and asking if we were interested.  I contacted her and said that he was pretty over scheduled already but to keep me in the loop.

Yesterday, they had their first get together with a paid tutor/coach. It was just three kids (two 4th graders and one fifth grader.) The coach was Math Phd who had been an assistant professor at Berkeley. Being the snob that I am, I immediately thought, "Why can't she get tenure?"  But I remembered, I wasn't actually an academic so what did I care?  She seemed a little nervous but kept the boys engaged with interesting problems and questions, all fun and puzzle like. The three boys got along well and they seemed to like the fact that there were other boys like themselves.

He's going to meet with them again a couple times before we commit to anything too much.   I think one of the goals would be doing some sort of competition like the Mini Math Tournament or the math Olympiads.   But who knows.

I've been very hesitant to encourage him to do anything like this in the past, but gave him the choice of going and he seemed to really like it.

We shall see...

No comments: