Sunday, November 14, 2010

Swim Classes

The kids have continued to take swim classes. They all go on Saturday morning. We drive to concord for the stress-free facility, almost private classes and super warm water. They are all doing great and of all the things I've done with my kids, I'm most proud I ensured all three of them could swim. I feel confident that if any of them feel into a pool, they could and would, swim to the side successfully. Since the main goal of the classes (in my mind) has been to teach them how to not drown, I consider it mission accomplished and feel that they can stop now.

But...Parker is actually quite good at it and enjoys it. Each week I ask him if he wants to stop or keep going and he always says keep going. He is at the second level from the top and wants to make it to swim team which is what kids do after they complete all the levels. So yesterday, I asked the manager the average age of kids on swim team. The answer was 10. Yikes. The explanation was that even if the kids have good form, they don't have the strength or endurance to swim straight for an hour until they are older. I explained some of this to Parker, adding that it would most likely be a long wait for him to make it there. Then I asked again if he wanted to keep going or take a break and he said take a break. And since he said that, the girls did too. We can always start up again if they miss it.

2 comments:

More of the Howe Girls said...

You should look into other towns or the Y. One of the best friends of the kids I nannied was on swim team form Kindergarten to 7th grade. He did it through their "country club" but they swam against city leagues and such. Swim team here starts at age 4 so there definitely are programs out there if you really want to pursue that. The place you go to must really be competitive swim.

Lori said...

I say get a house with a pool!