Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kamping!

Just got back from the twins club camping weekend that I planned and organized. We had about 25 twin families there most with two kids, but some like me with three and one with four. We did it at the KOA in Petaluma in the big group camping sites.

We (me and the kids) arrived early on Friday morning and got the lay of the land and set up our site so that when others arrived, I would be ready to help them and navigate any problems. Luckily with the exception of two high maintenance moms, it was smooth sailing. Even the communal dinner (I brought all the meat, condiments, etc and each family brought a side to share) went off well. With almost nothing left over, I considered the meal a success.

The girls mostly played with these 9 year old twins who were right across from us. And Parker played with these twin 6 year olds who seemed to adore him. A little too much at times.

The kids went swimming, rode bikes, climbed in trees, visited the petting zoo, played a few video games, and generally had a good time. As anticipated they got to bed a little late but without much fuss so it was all fine. The rooster at the petting zoo couldn't tell time, so when he crowed at 3am, Elizabeth said, "I heard a rooster, is it time to get up?"

We did smores both nights, Miranda watched a movie (charlottes web) with the big kids the second night while Elizabeth sang songs around the fire with 5 adults. Parker spent a good deal of time on the bounce pillow, which is like a bouncy house, but without walls.

It was my first solo camping trip (with a tent and all that) and I think I did pretty good. Other families had two or even in two cases three adults to help with their two children, but I had one adult to deal with three children and 24 other families. Someone said, "I don't know how you do it." I said, smiling politely "We all have our strengths."








Early morning hot tubbing.


These people came prepared. They had high chairs. pac n plays, shade tents and much more for their babies.



Setting up the buffet dinner.


Movie night with two sets of twins.

No comments: