Wednesday, April 21, 2010

StayCation

This past weekend, we took a short staycation. At the beginning of last week, I came home one evening from a meeting for the preschool and Parker was very excited to show me the calendar. He showed me that we were going to Oahu for 4 days that weekend. I told him he couldn't go and he was devastated. Not like tantrum-y, but truly, just super sad about this news. He just wanted to sit with me and be sad. He couldn't talk or move. He just cried quietly and stayed with me until bedtime. It was all very strange. So Michael and I, who realized we had a weekend without any plans, decided to go somewhere fun, stay in a hotel, use the pool and come back the next day. So I picked this "Fun Center" called Scandia in Fairfield. I booked a cheap hotel that had a pool and hot tub and Saturday morning we took off.

Scandia was everything an 11 year old white trash kid could want. Bumper boats, car racing, arcades, mini golf, batting cages, climbing area, gross food, and a laser tag game. We did most of it and Parker was in heaven. The girls loved parts of it, but got bored and tired at mini golf. The boats where we got to spray eachother were excellent. We had a picnic lunch there and were quite entertained for about 3 hours including Michael who did the batting cages and played 80's video games.

Then we went to the local Marriot. We got a room with a bedroom so we could be separate. The pool was cold, but the hot tub wasn't too hot so we went twice that day and once the next morning.

We had dinner at Denny's and breakfast at the hotel buffet. Waffles with whipcream. Pancakes with Chocolate chips. Endless bacon. It was just perfect.

The trip worked out exactly as I had intended (except for some nighttime screaming by Miranda.) And almost no need to ever return there.























No comments: