Wednesday, May 06, 2009

More Gross

I worked at the preschool Monday and Wednesday this week. It just worked out that way and it was my last work day this year.

On Monday, Parker was climbing on the outside of the play structure in a place that was not meant for climbing. Another kid tattled on him so I came over (as I was on yard duty*) and I told him it was dangerous to climb there and he should get down. I then took hold on him and told him to let go. This upset him to no end and he started crying (like I just told him his pet dog died) and telling me all about how I was wrong to do that and how the teachers tell him Great Job when he does it. This surprised me, but I apologized and then, when all the kids were inside, let him do it again.

Then today, he was doing it again and he called over to me to watch him "drop". I turned to the teacher who was standing with me and said, "Parker said you allowed this. Is that true?" "No," she confirmed and went over to tell him to get down. Before she was even done telling him, he was crying again saying "But I don't get hurt when I do it!" I helped him down and then we went over to the teacher to discuss it more. Her reasoning was "kids get hurt when they do that so don't do it." Parker's was "I'm not getting hurt so I can do it." We discussed it more and I brought up the "copying" aspect of it and he seemed to get that, but still wasn't happy. We went inside to calm down.

At first, I felt annoyed that he had played me telling me the teachers said it was ok knowing perfectly well that wasn't the case.

Then, I felt annoyed that he was crying about the two things the teachers said in the parent teacher conference he should do: 1) work on his gross motor skills and 2) get in trouble more often. His gross motor skills were outstanding as he was essentially rock climbing with no harness or net. And he certainly did get in trouble for it. Twice.

He's got another whole year at this school and to not be allowed to climb on the structure the way that he wants is going to drive him crazy. I just know it.

No comments: