Sunday, August 01, 2010

KOA Camping and Team Kym

A few months ago I got a hair brained idea (as I tend to do) to go to Guernville this weekend to cheer on my bootcamp instructor and now friend Kym who was doing her first Half Iron Man race. She has been so helpful to me (getting me in shape and being there to tell me "I can do it") and so many others that I felt it was only right that we all go root for her. I got a bunch of other bootcampers into it and even made shirts for the event.

Then I looked for a hotel near the race start or finish. I found a KOA campground that had cabins and that sounded fun since it had a pool, mini golf course and coffee bar on site! Then I got the even better idea of inviting Susan (and then Ebba and Kika) to join me so that I would also have on site babysitting (as well as their delightful company.) I had never been to a KOA camp site before and was a bit worried about the white trash we might encounter. Susan assured me it would be just lovely.

And she was right. We drove up Friday through some horrible traffic. The cabin...I mean Kabin...was perfect. Small but with bunk beds for the kids and mattresses for all of us. Kika also had a kabin and Susan and Ebba set up tents. The kids were in heaven running from site to site, taking their bikes all over the campground (the bigger boys and Elizabeth, that is). There was a fishing pond that they liked to visit and a playground that was a big hit too. The second and last night, the ladies got to hot tub while the husbands (all but Michael who was living it up in Prague) kept an ear out for the kids who slept soundly.





It was a bit hot in the evening and Elizabeth had some asthma attacks, but otherwise it was just perfect.

The race was good too. Kym did great as we all expected and loved the shirts. I got to see her start the 1.2 mile swim with the kids and then went back after the race to celebrate. She was thrilled we were all there for her. It was a lot of driving up and down highway 101, but well worth it.


Kym is in blue in the middle.


Watching at the finish line in our groovy shirts.

No comments: