Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gymnastics Roundup

Overall the gymnastics show was about the event that I expected. The performances were the kind that only a parent could love, with a packed audience every one of whom had a camera, and positively ruinous snow cone prices. Your typical small organization shin dig. There was plenty of parking, happy to say.

The kids all did very well, both in their performances, but also in how they carried themselves through the day. It was pretty chaotic, and all sorts of unfamiliar things going on, and they all held up perfectly. I was a bit worried for Miranda when her regular coach wasn't waiting there in the pre-show area, but she got into line, and found her way through the performance, and was very proud of herself afterwards. Her coach was on the course, so she was able to say hi to him.

After the performance we went outside to where they had a little carnival going, with two big jumpy houses, and food stands, and a couple of rather lame-o games. I got enough tickets for them all to do two things, and everyone but me got something from the baked goods stand. Parker did both of the games, and Elizabeth & miranda each did one, and then we went to the endless jumpy house line for that. I offered to get our own jumpy house out if we could just go home, but according to Elizabeth, ours isn't crazy enough. Go figure.

I did pretty well myself. Those sorts of things are not my general cup of tea; I like crowds little enough, but with three kids in tow it's fairly excruciating for me. But this was good, and I had my head on properly for the occasion, and we all had a nice time. I made sure they got their goody bags, which included just an assortment of branded crap for the gym, including a big tattoo which they all now have on their forearms, and herded them home for a hot lunch and a nice long jump on the trampoline. Which is where they are now.

No comments: