Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The rules

The other day the kids were eating lunch, and Parker informed me that Miranda was not eating her lunch, and was waving her spoon around instead. He has recently started providing this kind of reportage, which I've been discouraging. I said, "Don't worry about Miranda, Parker. Just worry about yourself."

He seemed to accept this, and lunch proceeded. Shortly thereafter, one of the girls had to be stopped from flinging food at the other, and I stepped in to oversee the stopping.

Parker then said to me, in all earnest, "You're not following the rules, Daddy. You're just supposed to worry about yourself."

I thought this was a pretty good argument, and a damn good observation, so I felt sort of bad explaining to him that Daddy's job was to make sure that he and his sisters followed the rules.

No comments: