Monday, November 17, 2008

Should have gotten behind the wine guy.

In between music class and picking up Parker at preschool, I had about an hour and a half. I spent the first half of it with Ebba and her girls in the park close to music class. But when Ebba had to leave to get hers on, we left too. Which left us too early to get Parker and too late to do much else. But there was a Trader Joes near by and we needed milk and other items so we went there. We had about 35 minutes to shop and drive about 10 minutes to get Parker. Plenty of time.

Then I saw an old mommy friend. She was in a mommy group with me when I had Parker. She had a new baby and we stood in the aisle for too long catching up, oohing and ahhing at the kids and keeping other people from shopping. When Miranda started eating the package of raspberries, I said good bye and took off.

Just a few minutes later, we were at the check out line. Every line had at least one person in it with one waiting. The shortest line was the guy with about 15 bottles of wine. But since they have to very careful with wine, I thought that would be a slow line and chose the one next to it. Bad move. That wine guy was basically home by the time I even got to the front of the line. My checkout guy was very, very slow. Not lame. Just slow and chatty as if he had all the time in the world. The girls were getting antsy with all the food they couldn't eat and I was getting antsy with everything else. After what seemed like hours, but was only about 8 minutes, we were at the front. The check out guy had to oooh and aaahhh at the girls. They didn't start crying so he stopped doing anything and got on a turkey mask and started playing with him. Mind you, there were now 2 people behind me. I already had bags out to start loading stuff up, but had nothing to load. When he did start unloading, Elizabeth thought this was great and started helping him. She would hand him things very fast which amused him and everyone standing around. So then there was a big discussion about how great she was, how quick she was, how cute she was, and how agile she was. (Side note...she can now put on her own diaper for nights.) I smiled and nodded. Finally all the items were out of the cart and it was time to pay. Then the guy asked if Elizabeth wants a balloon. Thanks a lot. There were balloons everywhere, but E and M didn't seem to notice that until he brought it up. With only 10 minutes left to get to the car, load up and go get Parker, I was not a happy camper. I tied one balloon around Elizabeth's hand and he asked "does she want one" pointing to Miranda. I said, "only if you don't want to hear her to start screaming." He, of course, had to tie it around her hand and I was basically running out of there at that point. I'm sure the whole thing is my fault for trying to do too much, but it all would have been fine had I gotten behind the wine guy.

No comments: