Sunday, June 14, 2009

More birthdays

Rachel had her twins club garage sale this weekend, so I came home at noon Friday for a weekend with the kids. I was amazed, as always, at how easily the girls go to sleep at naps, compared with bedtime. Parker opted for quiet time, so he goofed off upstairs for a while, and then he came down and we played quietly together in the living room. Parker let me know that it just happened to be Ted's and Lion's birthdays, so we made cupcakes while the girls finished sleeping. We didn't have any frosting, so I improvised a nice cream cheese frosting that went well with the lemon cupcakes.

When the girls woke up we all played together in the living room, and ran around in the back yard before dinner. The jumpy house was still up, so we plugged it in and jumped for a good long while. For dinner I prepared a smorgasbord of leftovers, which allowed each kid to eat a full dinner of something they liked, while turning up their nose at most of what was offered. After dinner, we sang to Ted and then Lion. They turned 56 and 38 respectively, but Parker said it was ok if we put 6 and 7 candles instead.

I asked Parker if Ted would share his cupcake with me, and he said yes, so I took a large bite and gave it back to Ted. Parker was not happy with the size of my bite, and evidently neither was Ted. "Daddy, next time it's Ted's birthday, and he says you can have a bite, you should take bite that is not so big." The whole thing was a little tense, so I apologized to Ted to smooth things over. Luckily, Lion stepped in and told Ted he could have some of his cupcake, so it all worked out.

They were all pretty tired after dinner, so we went in for an early bedtime, and they were all asleep by 7:15pm. I cleaned the house, ate some dinner, and was asleep on the couch by 8:45pm.

No comments: