Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Another Sub

Before I blog about the very fun weekend we had, I thought I would vent first.

Yesterday, Parker's teacher went home sick. So today, expecting the worst, I stayed with him at school until I could see if it was a sub or not. After all the classes had gone inside, no teacher or sub had come to get Room 6. I checked the classroom door. Locked. So, I made the executive decision to take the kids to motor skills first thing since I knew that was what they did today. The other parents just followed me, seemingly pleased that someone was taking charge.

When we got there, the sub was coming down the hall and followed us into the auditorium. I helped set up and then took the girls to preschool. Then I returned to what could only be described as the lamest day of school ever. The sub was awful. Worse than the last. Parker was not the leader and no one knew what the hell was going on. It was total chaos for a good long time interspersed with endless sitting on the floor listening to the sub talk about respect and kindess and saying things like, "Zip it. Lock it. Put it in your pocket" Which was received with complete cluelessness from all the kids. Parker kept trying to tell her what was suppose to be happening, but she kept telling him to Zip it and he was getting frustrated. She was so awful with the kids, who were doing a great job despite it all, that I decided that Parker would leave with me when I left to get the girls. I told him that when everyone went to lunch, we would leave too. He didn't seem to wonder why and I didn't explain it. I told the sub I was taking him home and just left. I figured no one else in the school would notice or care and they didn't.

I just couldn't leave him there. It just wasn't fair to him. I just wish I could have taken them all.

1 comment:

Kika said...

I'm so sorry, and sooo familiar with this. Do I hear 1st grade?