Monday, October 25, 2010

Comforting Parker

Parker has been having some meltdowns after school lately. He goes at full speed ahead during school and even after when they play on the playground with friends (something that I think is equally if not more important than actual school) and even does fine once at home. But then, something happens (he gets hurt, gets frustrated, etc) and he loses it. It's obvious he is super tired during these episodes so we usually go lie down in his bed together and he just cries.

This happened tonight after dinner. We went to his room and he cried and cried. He kept crying and the normal songs and "you're ok" whispers didn't comfort him. He just kept sobbing.

Finally, I thought, "What comforts Parker best?" So I said to him, "Let's count backwards from 100." I did the counting, but when I messed up (on purpose) he corrected me and stopped crying. When we got to 1, he started crying again. I asked him why he was so sad and he said, "Because I have to figure out what 3 to the 20th is and I don't what to lie here any longer!"

So we got up and he figured it out. He said when he gets to 3 to the 30th, he'll move on the 4's. Oh joy.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

He made it so tomorrow he starts the 4's.