Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Another Piedmont Meeting

I went to another Gifted Parents Support Club meeting last night despite the fact that I swore I would not go to any others. I went because some founding members were going to be speaking to how to advocate for your child. Although we've had a good experience thus far with Parker getting different math material than the other kids, we've heard that ends in middle school. The parents were nice enough, but didn't have anything really informative to tell us. Other parents of kids in elementary school kept saying that I was having a unique experience and that their teachers were not doing much for their kids. When I asked if they had spoken to their teachers about it, they said, "Well....no...not yet."

I stayed for the board meeting part of the evening because they were going to talk about how to spend some of the money the club had and I was hoping they would give some to Parker's math enrichment teacher since his teacher said it would end in April. Unfortunately, they weren't prepared to spend any money on 1st grade since the money had to go to GATE specific programs and GATE officially starts in 4th grade. But I did ask some questions of the group about their financials (they weren't recording dues and donations properly but didn't seem to care.). They spent a lot of time discussing a minor issue on the minutes and then discussing the money issue without sufficient backup information to actually make a decision.

It was strange that a group of parents of gifted kids were so lame.

1 comment:

Lori said...

So when will you be president, lol