Thursday, January 05, 2012

Letters

For a long time now, Michael and I have joked about writing letters when something upsets us. As in, "I'm going to write the city of berkeley a letter because the traffic lights are not timed well!" or "I'm going to write a letter to the producers of that movie because Mira Sorvino was not naked enough of the time!" I'm not sure how it started, but it's one of our long standing jokes and always gets a good laugh.

So when we had yet another bad service experience at our favorite sushi restaurant and I said I was going to write a letter, we had a good chuckle.

But then I did. I wrote a letter! I told the owners (who I recognized at the restaurant but didn't know their names so I looked them up on the internets) that we love their sushi, but the service had really gone down hill in the last year. I told them we had been coming there for over 10 years and we didn't want to stop, but that it was quite frustrating. I gave examples of things that happened (dinners forgotten, ignored for 15 minutes, unable to pay bill, missed sushi) but kept it all very nice.

I sent it Tuesday afternoon. Yesterday evening, the door bell rang. It was the owner of the restaurant. She came to apologize and explain about the new servers and to give us a gift certificate for us to use. She was so incredibly nice it was crazy. I hadn't left my phone number or address, but I guess I did write it on the envelope. I was shocked and quite pleased.

There is bound to be more letter writing in my future now...

2 comments:

Michael said...

Please write the Mira Sorvino next.

Sara said...

That's pretty awesome. They were probably happy you didn't yelp it. Michael you are funny.