Saturday, January 07, 2012

Decisions, Decisions.

Elizabeth is saying she doesn't want to do gymnastics anymore. She doesn't complain about going, but when she is there she tells the coach, "I can't do that" when it is stuff she can do and could do 6 months ago. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. On one hand, there is no reason to make the kid go to gymnastics anymore. On the other hand, what a shame to quit when she is obviously so good and so suited for it.

She has said she wants to do Ballet so she can be on stage. These are both interesting to me since she didn't like ballet before when she took the class with Miranda and she is incredibly shy about performing. I reminded her of both and she said she still wanted to do it. In fact, she wanted to do in instead of gymnastics. I told her ballet was hard. She asked if it was still hard after you go on stage and I said, "Harder."

So I looked up the ballet studio in Piemont which is literally across the street and signed them both up (Miranda had been asking too about it) for the next session on Saturday mornings. I was happy to hear it's a fairly serious studio and the girls have to have their hair up in buns with only pink leotards (no skirts, black, costumes, etc). I think this seriousness will not be liked and they will not want to do it again which would be great. There is a recital at a local community college at the end of the session. The director seemed nice and said if the girls were exceptional they would be referred to professional ballet school like SF Ballet and I told her I didn't think this would be an issue. (Neither of them appear to have any gift for ballet.) She added that they cater to kids in piedmont and understand missing classes for soccer games or other such things.

The first class is before I have to decide about paying for the next session so I'm hoping she hates it and decides to skip with gymnastics, but I don't think that will happen.

Here they are in their new ballet clothes and buns.

Oy.





No comments: