Monday, January 30, 2012

Lemon Cake

Last week I made a chocolate cake for Miranda at her request. Elizabeth requested a lemon one, but upon Michael's advice, I made just one cake.

I made the lemon one today. I used an entire bag of lemons either for their juice or the rind/zest. The cake itself was a three layer cake but since I only had two pans, I had to bake one after the other two. The filling was a lemon curd, which I guess is just corn starch, sugar and egg yolk. Oh, and lemon. The frosting was a lemon cream cheese version. I've discovered when you make a cream cheese frosting you use an enormous amount of powered sugar. I barely used half of what was required and it was still crazy sweet.

The kids didn't like the curd, but really, it was the best part. Now we have 3/4 of a cake to eat. Darn.

1 comment:

More of the Howe Girls said...

We made the choclate cake that was on the side of the herseys coco powder last friday and I made them into cupcakes with butter/powder sugar frosting. Ended up with about 20 cupcakes and I swear I have eaten a dozen on my own!