Thursday, January 05, 2012

Totally Not Worth It

Parker has been asking for an air hockey table for a while now. Whenever he goes to Ebba's he plays and loved it. I wasn't against getting a table, but wanted to get in the habit of not buying everything Parker says he wants. I told him he could save up for it. So he started saving. He gets an allowance of $1 each week and can earn extra money by doing chores (like picking up apples in back yard, taking out recycling, unloading dishwasher and this week, doing laundry). He saved up $25 (as I had seen a kids size one on Craigslist for $25 a couple months ago) and I took a look on CL again to see what I could find. I found two for $20, one in SJ and one in Belmont. I checked out what it would cost new for a similar one and it was $70. So I figured even with gas, I was still ahead going to Belmont to get one. And I was glad to be buying something used with only the money he earned.

So I drove there today, picked it up, stopped for a coffee and then was driving home. I wasn't in a rush as I had no where to be. Then I got pulled over just after crossing the San Mateo Bridge. Apparently he clocked me at 83 and 87 miles per hour. I'm usually quite good at seeing cops, but today I had no clue. I had no clue there was a cop on the side of the road and no clue I was going that speed. Only when there were lights in my mirror did I clue in. The cop was nice and wrote the ticket up for "80+" so that I could go to traffic school (I guess 86 was the cut off.) I told him it was my first speeding ticket my whole life. He said, "That's a pretty good record." Joy.

So my $20 used kids air hockey table that I felt all warm and fuzzy about will cost me hundreds of dollars in ticket fees, traffic school and increased insurance. Talk about your warm and fuzzy.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I don't think your insurance goes up if you take the traffic school. I have done that online (several times, oops) and while time consuming it's not too terrible. So how does he like the table?

Oaktownmom said...

That sucks. I got a ticket in the exact same spot and the cop did the same thing (I think I was going 90!). Do online traffic school, it's super easy. You can do it in front of the TV and just skim through the chapters to find the code words that let you take the tests at the end of each chapter (wow, I sound like a complete scofflaw).