Monday, April 23, 2012

God damn earth day

Parker: Mom, I want you to pack me a no trash lunch.

Me: Oh?

Parker: Do you know why I am asking you that?

Me: For Earth Day?

Parker: Yes!

Me: So I just have to do it tomorrow?

Parker: No, every day! Every day should be a no trash lunch day.

Me: Really? (sigh)

Parker: Yes, Aurelia and Sadie do it every day.

Me: You don't have to do what all the other kids do. Let me tell you about peer pressure...

Parker: But Mrs. Sears says it's important and I want to do it. Every day.

Me: Ok. You will have lots of containers then. No baggies, no snacks with wrappers. No granola bars.

Parker: That's fine. Mrs Sears said to use containers. Oh and bananas are ok because the peels are compostable.

Me: (Sigh.) Ok, I'll do it tomorrow.

Parker: Thanks Mom!

Fucking education.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Yup, we have that too. I got some small tupperwares, a thermos, and a water bottle and it hasn't been too bad. We aren't totally trash free most days (the girl loves her cheese sticks) but we lost the juice pouches (water is better anyway right?) and It try to put things like crackers, fruit, and other snacks in tupperware instead of ziploc. Good luck!

Rachel said...

I can do it, but I'm against anything like this that people try to guilt you into. There are a lot worse things than my granola bar wrappers in this world...