Sunday, April 15, 2012

Parker Nonsense

Recently swear words have been a topic of conversation here. Since the kids routinely hear us swearing, I was pretty amused by the following discussion.

Parker: Mom, you know the words like f words? How many are there?

Me: How many swear words are there? I'm not sure. A lot, I guess.

Parker: The s word is for stupid right?

Me: No, its for Shit. Do you know what Shit is?

Parker: No.

Me: It's like poop. Its just another word for saying Poop.

Parker: Is there a P word?

Me: I don't think so.

Parker: I thought it was for Phooey.

-------------------------------------

Parker asked to give me a piano lesson yesterday. I said sure. So he started writing some music. I told him he should write down on regular paper what he wanted to teach me. He didn't like that plan so he was going to teach me to read music so he wrote down every kind of note, rest, and notation he could think of. I asked him if he learned all that on his first day. He said no. I told him he was smarter than I was so he needed to teach me less than what he learned. This was challenging for him. So I suggested he teach me some scales. He thought that was pretty lame, but agreed. We did the C and G scales and he taught me the correct fingering. Then we did some five finger patterns starting with C but then skipping 5 notes and doing another one.

At one point he started goofing off and playing nonsense, so I told him the lesson was over since I couldn't concentrate with him doing that. He became very apologetic and promised to stop so we continued the lesson.

In the end I think he wondered why mommy was so stupid.


-------------------------------------

I got the kids these fancy sonic care toothbrushes after their last visit to the dentist about 6 months ago. They beep every so often and shut down after 1 or 2 minutes depending on the setting. I didn't know there were two settings at first, but when I did, I changed all the brushes to the 2 minutes setting.

But then I started to notice that Parker only brushed for a short time so I went to his brush to check it. The way it is, I couldn't tell which way it was set, but I put it on 2 minutes. So then the next time he brushed, it was short again so I went through the whole thing again. Finally, last night after he clearly only brushed for a short time, I told him to bring the brush to me. I thought it might be broken since it was shutting down so early. But then I realized it was on the right setting so I explained the problem to him. He said that he didn't like brushing so long so he just stopped after the second beep (at one minute) and manually shut it off rather than waiting for all 4 beeps for it to go off automatically. Problem identified!

No comments: