Saturday, April 21, 2012

Parker Fun

When people learn about Parker's math abilities for the first time they ask me how I taught him all that stuff or 'made him like that.' If I only had one child, I might think more that I had anything to do with how he is. But since I do have other children and no actual biological tie to him, I'm pretty sure I had almost nothing to do it. My father or sister might have something to do with it, but not me.

I tell them that from an early age, he would just "figure things out" and ask questions that we would answer. If he figured something out that had a name, like when he figured out the powers of two, we would tell him about exponents or powers only to tell him that what he was thinking about was something that others thought about.

 Here is an example of him doing this stuff on his own. This evening, he brought a homework sheet to Michael and asked him to figure it out. Michael did and then Parker asked Michael to make one up for him. Michael wasn't into it, so I did. I made it slightly harder than his and this pleased Parker immensely. He figured it out in no time despite the fact that I gave him no numbers (like he did for Michael.)

No comments: