Sunday, June 03, 2012

Weekend television

We let the kids watch television on the weekend mornings, which we've discovered is a fairly reliable method for parents getting to sleep in.  They go down when they wake up and watch shows on Netflix, and it's a big treat for them, and something they look forward to.  They've worked out a system of picks so they never fight about what to watch, and they Shawn the Sheep, and Backyardigans, and whatever else they are into on any given day.

Lately, their unanimous pick is AFV, otherwise known as America's Funniest Videos.  Parker discovered that one Sunday night on live television and was immediately hooked, and made a point on subsequent Sunday evenings to tune in.  And then when he discovered it was available through Roku, he introduced the girls to it, and they've all been hooked on it ever since.

This morning, they all slept in late, but I was still surprised it was only Parker and Elizabeth watching AFV when I poked my head into the TV room.  Since it was nearly 8am, I went up to make sure that Miranda was ok.

I found her smiling on her bed, singing a little song to her horse, because her horse felt a little sad.  She told me that her song was a made up song about her lucky day, and how today was going to be a lucky day because it was her ballet recital, and it was about the sweetest thing you'd ever seen, and so I enjoyed this quiet little moment of sweetness with my daughter.  And then she said, "Where's Elizabeth?"  To which I replied, "She's down with Parker watching AFV." She leapt out of her bed, saying "Aweesome!!!" and then she was off down the stairs like a shot.

No comments: