Tuesday, September 25, 2007

In the Night Kitchen



So what is up with this book? It's on one of the scholastic video dvds we have so I thought I would get the book for Parker. I remembered the title, but not much else until I saw it. Then I had strong memories of it. Did my mom read it to me a lot? Did I see it before? I knew the words and even the pictures before I saw them and the dough airplane brought back very strong memories. Strange huh?

Speaking of strange...

I thought it was a bit odd that these bakers who sport hitler like mustaches were putting naked mickey in the oven. So I googled the book to see if I was the only one who noticed this. Apparently I was, but I learned of another controversy about the book from Wikipedia:

When Mickey (who looks to be about three years old) enters the Night Kitchen, he loses his pyjamas and spends much of the story fully naked.

Critics of the book object to Mickey's nudity, with some librarians drawing little pants on Mickey with a marker, or diapers with correction fluid. Some also take a Freudian interpretation of events, with the nudity, free-flowing milky fluids, and giant (allegedly phallic) milk bottle.[1] Sendak himself claims not to have been trying to be controversial; his decision to derobe Mickey was to avoid the "mess" that falling into the batter would make of Mickey's clothes.


Michael thinks the book is just plain weird.

1 comment:

Ebba said...

I was at our local library today, not knowing it ws the American Libraries Association's "Banned Books Week." There was "In the Night Kitchen" along with other challenged or banned books, such as "Satanic Verses," "Brave New World," "Slaughterhouse Five," and "Catcher in the Rye." So read on Parker!