Saturday, March 22, 2008

My grand plan sucked.

I drove to LA today with the kids. I thought that leaving just before naps would allow everyone to get some good sleeping in the car. In the past, I had left in the morning so they didn't really sleep and then were too wired once in L.A. to nap there. So leaving at 1pm would ensure naps and make arrival delightful.

A good idea. Just a wrong idea. When Elizabeth fell asleep 5 minutes into the ride, I thought I had hit the nail on the head. But when she woke up 30 minutes later, I knew I was screwed. And when there was no sign of Parker or Miranda falling asleep, I really knew I was screwed.

So, I spent 6 and a half hours in the car with three awake children. They were actually not horrific, but pretty much every 10 minutes they needed something. Water, Milk, Food, Snacks, Music, DVD, Toys, Books, Different Books, Books one of their siblings had, Toys that were on the floor that I couldn't reach and other things I couldn't figure out. Like for example, Elizabeth kept pointing at the front of the car. I kept trying to figure out what she wanted, and it was only 3 hours into the trip when I realized she wanted the music louder. Damn her.

So we made it to L.A. about 7:30 after 4 stops (one for a playplace, one to get Elizabeth's blanket she had thrown on the floors, one for a rest area to run around and once for gas). The kids were thrilled to be there as was evidenced by the giggling, laughing and general merriment. Finally at 8:30, I put them all down and Miranda only screamed for a little bit before passing out.

Tomorrow, egg hiding.

No comments: