Monday, November 09, 2009

Early Birthday Weekend.

To say my birthday weekend with the gals was great would be an understatement. I was a bit worried that it would never live up to my vision, but when the rain went away Friday as we were driving up, I knew it would be a wonderful weekend.

Ebba, Susan, Kika and I drove up around 3 on Friday. Val and Shari were driving up the next morning. We immediately checked out our cute cottage (at the same place Ebba stayed at last year), and then jumped in the hot tub. After the tub, we walked to dinner on the main drag in Calistoga. The food was great, but the Mariachi band that was playing two feet away from us for most of the dinner was a bit loud. After dinner, we played a few board games, laughed a ton and stayed up too late.



Saturday morning, Val arrived early and we went for a a short run while the others got ready. Shari joined us a bit later and then we all headed off to the spa. We staked out our chairs at the pool and then went back for the treatments. We each got a massage and then half of us got facials and half got body polishes. They were both great and we were all very relaxed and happy afterwards.






After our treatments, we hung out, had lunch, lovingly prepared by Ebba and Shari. I tried my best to stick to my diet, but it was hard with all that delicious food.






When the sun set and the pool was closing down, we headed back to the cottage where the gals surprised me with cake and a great present. Shari made the cake, which was a throw back to a present I got for her many years ago. The present was a scrap book made by all five of my friends. The theme was "reasons I think Rachel is great" and it was really sweet to see all the great old and new pics and read all the wonderful things they said about me. After a few tears, first by me and then by all of them, we were off to dinner. I made a reservation at some fancy place, but when we arrived, we all knew it was too fancy for us. After a quick fleeing, we ended up at a burger joint on the side of Hwy 29 and it was perfect, if not freezing. Burgers, fries, shakes. Perfect "break the diet" food. Shari headed home and we all went back to the cottage where we played more games. I went to sleep before all of them and slept great.










The next morning, Sheehan and I went for a short run before we all had a quick last hot tub. Val took off and the four of us remaining did some shopping in Calistoga and some window shopping in St Helena. We finished the weekend off with a lunch out of the back of the car thanks again to Ebba. We were all fat and happy.



Everything was really quite perfect. And I could not have asked for a better birthday present from Michael. Not only did he fund the trip, but we watched the kids all weekend without me. It was nice to arrive home to a 'daddy-type" welcome from the kids.

I can't wait until I turn 50.

1 comment:

Val said...

Me too. Love you. And LOVE Michael.