Friday, September 23, 2011

Morning on the Playground

When we arrive at school these days, Parker and some kids play base tag, a form of tag involving the painted on baseball diamond. Lately, kindergarteners have also begun running around. This morning, as I watching it, Parker ran right into Miranda. Parker was looking one way and running the other and his ear hit her forehead and they both fell down with Miranda hitting the back of her head on the pavement. She started screaming, Parker popped up and starting yelling, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" and they he started to cry. I saw it all happen, as did many other parents, so I rushed over and held onto both of them. They both sat there for a while crying and crying and then I moved them over to the bench where they both continued to cry. Miranda's bell rang, so we walked her in. Parker was still a mess but Miranda was pulling it together despite the large bump on her head. Parker's bell rang, but it was becoming apparent he wasn't gonna be up for school since he was still crying. I went down to the tell the teacher and then tried to figure out what I was going to do. I had to work in the girls' class in 10 minutes and had two friends meeting me at school for a long run. As I was standing their trying to figure it out, I went back up to girls' class, checked in with Miranda who was still touch and go. Then I went back to Parker who was sitting with an aide and took him to the office to wait for Michael who I had called. If he needed to go to doctor we were gonna need two parents. Parker waited in the office while I went back to the class. The workshop should have started already, but it hadn't. Then the principal came in and said Michael was there and what was the plan with Miranda. We agreed she could stay. Then she told me I could leave too. So I did. I went back home with Parker and Michael, offered to cancel my run to hang with Parker, but Michael wanted to stay with him. So I took off, ran for 10 miles, and picked up the girls who were both fine at 11:45. We went home where we discovered Parker was just fine too.

Sheesh. Too much excitement for one morning.

No comments: