Wednesday, September 07, 2011

New Schedule

I'm having a bit of a hard time getting used to the new schedule. While I feel more busy with all the pick ups and drop offs for school, classes, swim team, playdates, I feel like I have tons more free time. I feel guilty for having the time so I overschedule things like today* and then feel beat by the end of the day. And I'm still having trouble remembering to get the laundry and shopping done. I should be a better housewife, but that isn't happening yet.

But... since I'm now technically a Piedmont Lady of Leisure, I decided to act like one. I've started two new activities. The first one is that I am seeing a personal trainer. I've only gone 4 times with the assessment being the first time, but so far, I think it's pretty good. He works me out for about an hour and it's fairly hard with no cheating. I did well on the assessment (I was stronger and more fit than I thought**). I'm going to do it for 8 weeks and see how I feel after that to determine if I want to continue.

The second thing (as if to eliminate any progress from the first thing) is to have breakfast out more often. I love eating breakfast out, but with the kids, it's something we don't do much anymore. So far, I've hit Homemade Cafe, Ye Old Egg Shoppe (not it's real name), Mama's Royal Cafe, Bettes and Ikea. I thought about doing a little blog about each of them, but really, how many times can you hear about a scramble and hashbrowns (which is what I get each time). I did get the special at Bettes which was fantastic: cornmeal, blue berry pancakes with sausage! I sit by myself with a paper or magazine or iPhone and eat and hang out. At Ikea, I meet up with Susan (or like today Susan and Ebba). They put their kids (who are still in preschool) in the playarea and we go up to enjoy the 99 cent special and chat. Heaven.

*Today's activities: Run 3 miles around the lake, take bootcamp class, "do" pull ups. Home by 6:45am. Make lunches for kids, get dressed, get everyone else dressed and ready, head out the door by 8am. Drive kids to school. Girls go in at 8:20; Parker at 8:30. I stopped to talk with Parker's teacher today (more later on that). Headed to Kaiser for Mammogram appt. Had boobs squeezed. Went to target to get another booster seat for Michael's car and dishwashing detergent. Met Susan and Ebba at Ikea. Gabbed for an hour. Drove to pick up girls. Miranda had playdate with new friend at school so Elizabeth and I went home. Rachel (friend from preschool came over to play.) We all went to pick up Parker and Miranda. Hung out at school for a bit playing. Took Rachel home. Took Miranda's to Susans where there was a twin playgroup happening. Went to pick up Lindsay (gymnastic class friend), took girls to gymnastics. Drive Parker to swim class. Pick up Miranda from Susan's. Head home. Go out to eat since we haven't had any water all day (water main burst on street).

**I had to do some standard tests (push ups, sit ups, sitting on wall, stretching.) I did well on everything expect jumping and throwing a big heavy ball while sitting down. I sat on the wall for over 2 minutes which I guess was a long time. I did this stairmaster thing for 10 minutes and had a heart rate of 176 and then after a minute recovery it was down to 116. Which was good, I guess. What was I best at? Stretching. He asked me what my goals were and I said I wanted to run faster and do a pull up. He said, "Anything else?" Not really I replied. Nothing? he asked again. Then it dawned on me. He wanted me to say I wanted to lose weight. I told him that would be nice, but not the reason I was there. This surprised him.

No comments: