Saturday, December 01, 2007

Fake Reading

I went to Allison's and Fiona's one year birthday party today. It was very sweet. Mostly family and close friends, it was nice to be included in such a joyous occassion. Both Fiona and Allison are doing great. Allison is quite the talker and you'd never guess Fiona had some troubles getting around in the past. Ebba, their mom, being the fabulous person that she is, had the full spread for adults and kids, delicious cake and generous party favors (LOVE THE SUSHI SHIRTS!).

While at the party, Parker asked me to read him a book. A book in Spanish. I told him I didn't know how to read Spanish and he went to get another book. Samatha, who asked me to read a Spanish book moments later, wasn't as easily distracted to some boring English book. I tried to tell her that I didn't know Spanish and she looked at me as though I were speaking Greek. Then Liz, Samatha's mom, came over and said "Just read it". I protested saying that my Spanish pronouciation was terrible and I was embarassed with all the actual Spanish speakers around to even try. She said, "No, just reeeaaddd it." Then she picked up the book and made up her own story that went along with the pictures. "Here is a pretty horse. See it's nice mane." "Look at the bird flying in the sky. My how the sun is bright." I laughed so hard while she was doing this because Samatha was quite satisfied with this story. So much so that before Liz was even done, Samatha said, "THE END."

I had never thought to do such a thing. Not that I can't make up a good story, but because if Parker ever asked me to read him that same book again, he'd be really upset that I wasn't getting it right. He tends to memorize books so fast, I'm sure this method would get me into loads of trouble. But I applaud Liz and her technique. Bravo!

No comments: