Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday with Parker

I took Parker to SFMOMA today. A friend told me there was a neat exhibit there (ie good for kids) so I thought, what the heck? Ebba and her girls joined us.

We took Bart over to the city both because it would be cheaper than parking and also because it would be more fun for Parker. Ted came along this time.




The exhibit we were there to see was on the fifth floor and when we got out of the elevator, I knew Parker would dig it. It was all about colors and light and shapes and images. Unfortunately, cameras were not allowed, but I sneaked these shots before I knew, and after I didn't care.





This was a giant round room with nothing in it. Just color on the walls that changed. It sort of made you dizzy.


Parker's favorite one was a dark room with mist flowing from the sky. As you walked by the mist, it moved. It was strange and fun. Fiona and Allison, who can now walk, seemed to like it too. We stayed in their so long, Parker was nice and damp.





Then we walked into this room with giant screen with lines waving across it. You pushed the planks on the floor and the lines moved. Ebba said we could see how it was made if we walked behind it. We walked around and before I could even see what was in the room, Parker had stomped in the water on the ground. A big No-No. The docent was pissed and gave us the nastiest look. I apologized and said that I didn't even know there was water there. She muttered something nasty under her breath while giving me dirty looks and I said loudly and in a rude voice, "Did you hear me say I didn't see there was WATER there????" I mean, really. They have an interactive water exhibit, encourage kids to come to it (there were tons there) and then get pissy that one of them goes in the water? Jeez.

After a few more rooms, we went to the gift shop where I was very good and only bought one educational toy for Parker. Ebba went home for naps and we went to Yerba Buena Gardens where there is a carousel, playground, more museums, water fountains, and more. We rode the merry go round first and then made our way to the playground.





The playground was great. We had taken Parker there before, but not for a long while and he immediately ran to the highest slide possible and zoomed down. It was fast and he shot out the other end. He then proceeded to do it over and over, sometimes shoving Ted down in front of him. He had a grand time.







Then we stopped for lunch (me tacos and parker a sandwich) at the Metreon. They were having some Gamers Conference across the street so the place was packed with scruffy faced gaming nerds. Parker enjoyed the interactive image projected on the ground.



After a fun day, we headed back to Bart and made our way home. Parker did great all day and I had a good time too.

No comments: