Thursday, May 22, 2008

Brain Cloud and Pinwheels

I took the kids to fairyland today. Mostly because it was close (or closer than Lawrence Hall of Science) and the weather was pretty nice. The kids behaved pretty well, but it was hot and windy and there were lots of schools on field trips, something I loathe. In any case...after a couple hours there we went back to the car. Since it was hot, I started the car and turned up the AC. Then I started loading up kids. Each was holding the pinwheel that I had bought them. I put the bags in the car and was about to put the stroller in the car when I looked down and discovered my keys were missing. I wear my keys around my neck since this has been the only strategy in not losing them that has worked over the years (My lanyard is from the Berkeley YMCA where I taught aerobics back in 1999). But no keys. I'm pissed. We had parked far from the entrance, so the thought of unloading everyone and heading back there was really really unpleasant. And since I had already cut it close on naps, this was not good.

Then I realized that the car was open and the keys were in the ignition where I had put them just moments before. Man, I'm losing it.

The kids played with the pinwheels sticking them in and out of the windows until we got on the freeway when I closed the windows. When we arrived home, I saw a sad night. Miranda pinwheel has come off the stick and it must have flown out the window. All she had left was stick. I even asked her, "Did your pinwheel fly out the window?" "Yesh," she said. She didn't actually seem to mind and played with the stick before lunch.

Then right before Parker went down for his nap, Parker said sadly, "Miranda's pinwheel flew away." Yup, yup, it did.

No comments: