Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The definition of calling one's bluff.

After gymnastics class today, Elizabeth told me her coach talked to them about behaving or going to another class. Since this is all I got out of her, I went up to the coach and asked if there were any problems in class today and mentioned what Elizabeth said.

Her coach said, "Oh, I sort of gave them a pep talk today because in between rotations (leg lifts, head stand leg lifts and pushing up to a hand stand), all three of the girls sort of just sat there. In other words, when the Coach wasn't assisting them, they were just watching or rolling around on the ground. The coach reminded them that this was a serious class and if they wanted to take a class where they just rolled around on the floor, that could be arranged."

(Do I need to remind you these are 4 and 5 year olds?)

Anywhooo....Elizabeth asked me what the coach told me and repeated the quote above.

There was a long pause and Elizabeth says, "Mom...can I just do the class where you roll around on the ground?"

Perhaps it's time I actually explain to Elizabeth what kind of class she is in and why others aren't in it. I have kept this info to myself thus far for fear of hurting other's feelings, but perhaps I need to be explicit at this point.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Cory still plays around during class and he's 11. Good for Elizabeth. This coach needs to be reminded the age of these kids. They are not preparing for the Olympics yet.

Rachel said...

Yet.