Thursday, October 16, 2008

Personalities

It's been interesting to see E and M's personalities form. I would say they are, in general, the same as they were inside the womb and then again at about 4 months (after Elizabeth's deceptive first 4 months when we thought they took out twin B first.) But little things are becoming more clear.

For example, most days Elizabeth wakes up from naps a little grumpy. Not super grumpy like Miranda, who screams bloody murder, but just grumpy enough that she wants to be left alone for a bit. She sort of stumbles out of her room, looks around, surveys the situation and then goes and sits somewhere. She doesn't want to be held or even talked to. I went through a period in my life when I was like this when it totally bugged me if anyone spoke to me for about an hour after getting up. She gets over it quickly.

And Miranda is still sort of a mystery. At first we thought she would be super smart like Parker, but I think the opposite is most likely true. She has that blank stare a lot as if she is deeply in thought. I just don't think there is a lot of thought there. You ask her a question and she stares at you for a moment smiling like Steve Martin in Dirty Routen Scroundrels. For example, and this is a bad example, we were looking at this book last night. There's a picture of a hippo. I say to Elizabeth, Do you know what this is? She says, "Hippomotamus" and smiles sweetly. I said, Good job! Then I turn to Miranda and say, Miranda what's this? She looks at me and says, "Ahhhhhhhhhh (as if she is really thinking about it), a cow!" I'm not saying she should necessarily know the difference between a hippo and a cow, but you'd think after just hearing the right answer, she might get it. Not so much.

No comments: