Monday, March 09, 2009

The jacket.

Michael has a friend named Bret. He used to work with Michael (twice). About 6 years ago, after being laid off from PJA, Bret moved on to other things and we lost track of him. About a month ago, he popped up again and is now living just a few minutes from us. He came over the other day to catch up, meet the kids, and generally hang out. This was all good and it was nice to see Bret. He's a low key guy and the kids loved him.

But...before he disappeared 6 years ago he left a jacket at our house. We thought he would be back to get it since it was a nice REI type jacket, but he never did come back. After watching it sit on our hook in the hallway for a long while, I tried it on. It was a good fit. A little big, how I like clothes. So I start wearing it. All the time. I called it Bret's Jacket for years. "Have you seen Bret's Jacket?" "Did I leave Bret's jacket in the car?" "Should I wear Bret's Jacket?"

So when he showed up the other day, I immediately told him that I had taken over the jacket and there was no way in hell he was getting it back. I had squatters rights. Since it was really the only jacket I wear, I would have been bummed to lose it. We laughed a lot about the jacket and after a nice long visit, Bret left on Saturday without his jacket. Thank god.

But then yesterday, he popped back over to retrieve his sunglasses that he had left on Saturday. He saw the jacket on the chair, put it on and did not take it off. Even during dinner. Alas, the jacket was gone.

Of course, I realize that it was HIS jacket and I had just borrowed it for 6 years, but I'll miss that jacket and now I am forced to actually go shopping...one of my most hated tasks, to get another jacket. Damn it.

1 comment:

Val said...

Did someone say shopping? Do I hear Vacaville calling???