Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thomas Crap

Although Michael and I try to keep branded crap out of our house, we do have a couple things that have brands on them. Some Cars and Thomas the Train sippy cups (that we have promised to ditch when the girls turn 3), some actual Thomas the train trains and a couple other small things. I'm not sure why I hate branded stuff so much, but I do and Michael hates them even more than I do. (You don't know how hard it is to find toddler bike helmet without brands on them."

With the Thomas the train items, the kids called them "trains" as in "I want the train cup!" Or "Can you hand me the blue train?" But now, after a couple viewings of the Thomas the Train shows on Roku/Netflix, it's all come crashing down. Elizabeth this morning said, "Can I have a Thomas the Train cup?" And Miranda said, "I'd like a Thomas the Train cup AND cereal bowl."

Then they all needed to play with an actual Thomas the Train this morning. Other trains of different colors were unacceptable.

I suppose it is our fault, but it makes me really reconsider my thoughts about letting them watch Dora the Explorer or Blue's Clues.

5 comments:

Kika said...

It's a treacherous path to go down...as one who has been sucked into it all, "STAY AWAY FROM THE DORA AND BLUES CLUES" it quickly invades your home...I'm living it.

Unknown said...

I have to say that the twins love Dora and she is somewhat educational. I dont speak Spanish but Sam now really wants to learn because of Dora. She knows how to count to 10 most of the colors and a few words. I just bought Muzzy Spanish to try and teach her some more. They say kids really learn foreign languages best before they turn 8.

Ebba said...

What I don't understand is that my girls have never ever watched Dora but somehow the hand-me down Dora underwear are the coveted ones. What is it about the shape of that girls' head and hair that make them want her so much??

Rachel said...

Re: Liz's comment "have to say that the twins love Dora"... as my sister says, "People love crack cocaine, but that doesn't mean it is good for them."

(This was her response to my question a couple years ago about her opinion on exercausers.)

Lori said...

Good luck keeping your kids away from all of it -- they will all go to school soon and then you are really screwed. But you could just say no, hehehe, and good luck with that too!