Friday, August 21, 2009

Sadness

Lately Parker has been getting sad. For seemingly no reason, he just starts crying and needs hugs. It isn't like Miranda or Elizabeth, who appear always appear slightly insincere during their crying fits. It's very serious and sad and unexplained. Like today at breakfast. I had just returned from bootcamp, a little later than normal as rode my bike (or Kika's bike actually) home, and Parker was sitting at the table about to cry. I asked him what was wrong. He just started crying and then said Daddy didn't hear him when he asked for more cereal. And then he the water works really got going. Like not getting cereal was the worst thing that has ever happened to him. Michael came in and sat with him and it just got worse. Parker couldn't stop hugging Michael or crying and said he was too tired to eat more cereal.

In fact, that is my best guess...that he is tired more these days. He's given up the naps, but I think his body wasn't quite ready for it, so he's always a bit on edge. But when he says things like, "I'm sad mommy, can you sit on the couch and take care of me?" it's hard to do anything but what he asks even if tantrums are happening in the other room or one of the girls needs breakfast.

1 comment:

Val said...

How nice to have a child who calmly asks for what he wants. What's that like?