Friday, August 21, 2009

WTF?: Rude People

I took the kids on a ferry ride to SF today. It was a good trip until the end. The kids had fun, the sea lions were out in froce, the kids didn't drive me too crazy and we didn't eat too much crap.

As were exiting the ferry on the way home, there were lots of people behind us exiting and lots of people waiting to go on. Elizabeth, who had been testing me much of the day, was dawdling. I asked her to hurry up. She ignored me. So I told her to hold my hand. She stopped walking and stomped her foot. I asked her again to hold my hand. She made her nasty kid sound and refused. Because I can't just grab her hand and start walking (like I can do with the other kids) due to her nurse maid's elbow problems, I picked her up and started walking down the ramp. Miranda and Parker were way in front of me at this point on a bridge with big gaps over the Bay...so I wanted to catch up to them fast. Elizabeth was screaming, kicking her legs, trying to wiggle out of my arms. The whole bit. I walked by about 50 people waiting to get on the ferry like this...Miranda holding my hand, Elizabeth screaming in my arms and Parker crying ahead of me (he was upset that Miranda had run off). Most people gave me sympathetic looks, but when I got to the end of the line, one lady yells out, "BIRTH CONTROL" at my face.

WTF?

I didn't respond, something I regret now. But I thought it was quite lame to say the least.

3 comments:

Amity said...

Wow, you've had some run in's with some rude people lately. You deal with it so well, but that lady probably would have crapped her pants if you turned around to set her straight!

Ebba said...

I've been trying to think of something I wish I could've said to that woman. did you come up with anything? All I could think of was something like, "yeah, someone should've told your mother about it."

The thing that gets me about kid hating people is that when she's old and feeble with no kids of her own our kids' taxes will be paying her medicare bills.

Val said...

Ebba had a good one. I would like to think I would have given her the finger, but then I would have had to explain to Andre what I did and why he shouldn't do it.