Wednesday, April 06, 2011

What, me?

I've got three main areas of my life right now. Kids and schools, twin stuff and twin friends, and Boot camp and working out. Those three things take up all of my time.

I've been doing bootcamp (5am to 6:30 MWF) for a few years now and it's been great. Not great as in "I love going every morning in the dark when I could be sleeping", but great, as in "a really good thing for me." I've become more fit, met tons of great people who I now call my friends, and do things I never thought I'd do like run half marathons. For many of my work out buddies, I'm just Rachel. Not Parker's mom or twin club webmaster or Michael's wife. Just Rachel: A 41 year old lady trying to not be a fat, lazy slob.

I'm definitely in better shape than when I started, but I'm by no means near the top of the class. There are some hard core athletes in it. They run fast (like under 8 and 9 minute miles), lift heavy weights, jump high, pedal hard, and generally kick my ass every single time. I'm no slacker, but I've still got a ways to go.

Which is why it was so funny when one of the "newbies" (that is what we call people who are doing a boot camp session for the first time) said to me today after we sprinted up the top level of a parking garage this morning at 6am, "Oh my god, you are so fast! I couldn't even believe how fast you went."

It was so strange that she was saying that to me and not one of the people that are actually fast. I wish I could have said something better in response like "thanks, what's your name?" or "you'll get there too" or "took me a long time to get here" or "you should see me stretch" or really anything else, but I was so surprised and taken back by her comment, that I could only laugh and run up the ramp again.

2 comments:

teresa said...

Funny how it just happens. ;-) We're busy thinking about other things, like trying to keep up with those "faster people" and then all of a sudden, we look at ourselves and we are "those faster people." What is it? I'm guessing regularity, as well as the extracurricular stuff. And just by liking each other so much that we talk through a whole workout before we realize we're done.

Rachel said...

It was nice when April, Sara and I ran almost 6 miles this morning chatting all the way and were done before we knew it.